Pages

    Wednesday, November 14, 2007

    If you can?

    So, I'm praying tonight, and I am suddenly reminded of the story in Mark where Jesus heals the boy who "had a mute spirit" that caused him to have seizures. Check out Mark 9:14-31. It's the story where the father says "help my unbelief".

    Besides being at the "unbelief" part, where I doubt the power of God and his sovereignty, I was struck by what Jesus says to the father first:

    (Mark 9:22b, the father) "But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." (Mark 9:23, Jesus) "If you can?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." (Mark 9:24, the father) Immediately the boys father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

    I can hear Jesus now, "Psshhh! If you can?"

    Jesus is plainly saying that it's not a matter of if. He can. And as I was struck by this, I was motivated to pray boldly, while asking the Lord to help my unbelief.

    Cole got his first dose of chemo tonight, and after an hour or so he was in some discomfort. It was hard to watch, and I was praying to the Lord to ease his discomfort due to chemo. But, after I read this, I was moved to pray something more. I asked the Lord to remove his discomfort.

    Seriously, if God can ease it, why can't he remove it completely? Why shouldn't I pray boldly?

    I'll tell you why I wouldn't pray boldly. I'm afraid. I'm afraid that the Lord isn't going to answer my prayers. I'm afraid that I'll have to sit by, helpless, as my son suffers. I'm afraid that I can't effect any of this, but that I'm just a bystander. I am afraid.

    And that's where my unbelief comes in. That's why the father asked the Lord to help his unbelief. I might have enough belief right now to pray for this, but will I in a day, or a week, or a month? When I'm faced with my son's pain, will I have enough faith to pray boldly again?

    I won't have enough belief. I've found the limits of myself. So, I must go to the Father to ask Him for the thing that I need to ask for the thing that I need. In essence, I'm asking the Lord to be my strength, from start to finish in this.

    So, join with me in asking the Lord, boldly, for a removal of Cole's side-effects from chemo. And, while you're at it, ask for complete healing for Cole. Let's approach the throne of God boldly.

    And, if boldness isn't in your diet for the day, as I'm sure mine won't be often, ask the Lord to be your belief for you.

    Once I prayed this, with my dad and Dalynn, Cole's discomfort started to disappear. It was right on time with a dose of Tylenol he had gotten, but I consider it no less amazing or wonderful. Have you ever heard of Tylenol being a great pain-killer in the face of cancer and chemo?

    In no time, Cole was asking for cheerios, then some milk, then two spoons, one for each fist to eat his cheerios with! It was the most substantial thing he ate all day, and it blessed me and warmed my heart to watch.

    8 comments:

    kdbquinni said...

    Hey...I can totally relate to your prayer about belief...and your thoughts about praying boldly...and for things not just to get better, but for God to make them whole again...to pray for the physically and humanly impossible...that's what I've been trying for a lot recently. Thanks for sharing, and believe me when I say Cole is in my prayers. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys.

    John said...

    Dude, it is amazing how we can actually get help for our unbelief. Believing or not, God remains the same and loves us all the time, in sickness and health, til death do us part. But for now, we have a lot of life to live. Go Cole!

    Love,

    Uncle John

    Mansfield Family said...

    We are praying boldly and specifically for Cole's complete healing. Let me know when you need me to come back down there. I can be there in no time. And I will be honored to come and help you guys. I'm glad Cole had such a "productive" evening! : )
    I love you all!
    Shelley

    Anonymous said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Anonymous said...

    Dalynn:

    Mom passed Shelley's email along to me, and my heart is aching for you. I will keep you, Cole and your entire family in my prayers. I often think of you, and all of the kids that we grew up with at PVBC when I take my own daughter to church and see her enjoying the current day version of Mission Friends and GA's!

    Kate Lewis (had to delete original to get my name in there!!)

    Kate Lewis said...

    Dalynn:

    Mom passed Shelley's email along to me, and my heart is aching for you. I will keep you, Cole and your entire family in my prayers. I often think of you, and all of the kids that we grew up with at PVBC when I take my own daughter to church and see her enjoying the current day version of Mission Friends and GA's!

    Kate Lewis (had to delete original to get my name in there!!)

    Katie said...

    Hey...I can totally relate to your prayer about belief...and your thoughts about praying boldly...and for things not just to get better, but for God to make them whole again...to pray for the physically and humanly impossible...that's what I've been trying for a lot recently. Thanks for sharing, and believe me when I say Cole is in my prayers. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys.

    John said...

    Dude, it is amazing how we can actually get help for our unbelief. Believing or not, God remains the same and loves us all the time, in sickness and health, til death do us part. But for now, we have a lot of life to live. Go Cole!

    Love,

    Uncle John