Pages

    Saturday, November 17, 2007

    The Beginning

    Today's blog is from Dalynn. This is an email she sent out, and I wanted to share it with everyone else. It's a little of the story of how we came to find out that Cole has leukemia.

    Dalynn's email:
    ----------------------------------------------

    Hello everyone! I hope you all are doing well!

    Our family has had a Crazy month and a half from picking pumkins, playing in the leaves of fall, getting Cole's first haircut, Cole dressing up as a chicken and Logan an egg (of course) and Cole turning 2. But even crazier than all those things has been the past two weeks of our lives, which has left me writing you this update from the hospital. So here is our story.

    Starting 11-30-07 Cole and Logan starting getting sick. We took them to the doctor that Friday and both the boys had crupe and Cole also had and ear infection. We treated Cole with 2 injections of Rocephin and another injection of a steroid, in hopes that Cole would be able to make his 2nd birthday party on Sat., that however did not happen. We also treated Cole with an oral antibiotic for his ear infection. Logan received an oral steroid and both boys were doing okay. Then Monday Cole starting getting very tired again, on Tuesday he woke up with blood caked around his mouth and this nasty blood blister thing in his mouth. He also had started limping on one leg, to the point he would sometimes only scoot himself across the floor instead of walking. We call the doctor's office regarding his limp and they thought it might be injection sight pain, so we continued to treat him with Motrin.

    On Wed. we had Cole's 2 year well baby check at the doctor's office, which he was sick at. When I undressed him for him to start his workup at the doctor's office I saw this huge bruise on the back of Cole's left leg, which was the leg with the limp. And you know paranoid nurse mommy's mind starting spinning because I had no explaination for this bruise. So as soon as the doctor walked into the room I said "I need you to know I think my child is dying of cancer or a blood clot". He assess Cole and found he had a herpes virus in his mouth, which would explain Cole's symptoms, but not the bruise, however Cole's hemaglobin at the appointment was 10.8, which is normal. So we decided just to watch his bruise.

    On Thursday Cole broke out into a petetchiae rash on his forehead, which spread to his groining on Friday and late Friday afternoon Cole spiked another fever. He also started having nose bleeds every night. I had called the doctor's office on Friday about the rash and fever, but the nurse said it was probably okay and since it was 4:45pm, she said just to treat his symptoms. By Sunday night Cole was starting to look green. On Monday we went for blood work and follow-up with the doctor.

    Our doctor who is always running late (because he is amazing and spends time really listening and taking care of his patients) was in our room immediately. He had also called us before we arrived to talk to us about the blood work, but I had been away from my phone and got the message as I was walking into his office. So the doctor comes in and the blood work is not good. Our doctor, Dr. Wruble, who is a man of faith, tells us he thinks based on Cole's bloodwork that he has luekiemia, maybe not, but the hematologist at Children's Hosptial for the Kings Daughters is waiting for us.

    So Monday we were admitted to the hosptial for Cole to receive a blood and platelete transfusions and to diagnosis luekiemia. Monday night we found out Cole definitely had luekiemia and we just needed to have the bone marrow biopsy to determine what type. Cole had the bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday with a spinal tap, which they also injection chemo into his spinal fluid and he receive a picc line. Cole is a trooper!! It was determined late Monday evening that Cole has ALL Pre-B, which is Acute Lymphoblastic Luekiemia with B cells. This is the most common in kids and has an 80-85% cure rate. Also there were no cancer cells in his spinal fluid. These were all Praises and answers to prayers!!!

    Today he received more blood and plateletes, as well as Vincristine, which is chemo and Dexamethasone, a steroid. He has done amazingly well and is so strong. I am so proud of my precious little boy! Today we went and played in the play room, which they have to close down just for him, because he is neutropenic. Nuetropenic means he doesn't have the cells to fight off infection. He also had some really bad body pain from the chemo, but we prayed and others have been praying and hours later he wanted Cherrio's with milk and 2 spoons. You gotta love a two year old.

    So what a whirlwind!!! But that is why my subject is Calling ALL PRAYER WARRIORS because we are in desparate need of your prayers for our preious little boy. Our specific requests are that Cole responds to treatment within 8-15 days and has less than 5% of cancer cell left when the bone marrow biopsy is repeated on the 8 or the 15 day. This would then put Cole in the rapid response category. Second is the side effects of chemo. There are many, many, many, many side effects and we just pray they will be few for him!!!!!! We also pray for wisdom for decisions about up coming treatments.

    So many of you have already been praying and for that Michael, Cole, Logan and I are all SO Thankful!! We have heard your prayers and felt them! We love you all and thank you for your prayers, your love and your support!!

    I will attach our picture website for you guys to see our fun filled days fall.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/michael.rollins

    love ya lots
    dalynn

    5 comments:

    Shelley said...

    Okay, we are praying, praying!!! Praying that Cole will find just the food his little body desires, that God will be gracious and allow Cole to experience few side effects, and the you guys will be drawn together through this and will be closer than ever before. I know what it is to depend on my husband in a crisis and there is no greater support on Earth. So know I am praying that for you both. I want to help you in any way that I can so please call. I will come down whenever you need me, even if its just to give platelets...so call! Lisa called and said Cole is receiving a new med that he hasn't had. Know many people are praying that his body tolerates it well so that you guys can go home. I know Cole will do better in his own home. I love you guys!
    Shelley

    Anonymous said...

    Oh, how my heart goes out to you guys. You know that we are praying for Cole. Sweet Cole. My nephew Cole is praying for him too. I have my friends at work praying for him.
    My God is in control. Be encouraged and know that God is using Cole. His testimony will be great as well as Logan's, Dalynn's, Michael's, Grammy, and old Pops! I will lend Grammy to you as long as you need her. I know that Katie is ready to go up and visit. Tell Cole Happy Late Birthday from us Best down in NC. let me know what you guys need from us. We love you dearly and long to see you again real soon.
    Mike, keep up the blogging. It is so good to read all the emotions and prayers. It seems that God is already at work in encouraging your faith.
    Maya's best friend's father was diagnosed with Leukemia over a year ago...but they told them they couldn't save him. He is clear today and doing quite well.
    I send you all hugs and love. I am thankful for your testimony and your friendship. God bless you all! xxx ooo
    Love you Always and Forever!!!

    travishr said...

    Mike-
    I will be praying for Cole as well as you and your family everyday.
    God Bless-
    Travis

    travishr said...

    Mike-
    I will be praying for Cole as well as you and your family everyday.
    God Bless-
    Travis

    The Best Family said...

    Oh, how my heart goes out to you guys. You know that we are praying for Cole. Sweet Cole. My nephew Cole is praying for him too. I have my friends at work praying for him.
    My God is in control. Be encouraged and know that God is using Cole. His testimony will be great as well as Logan's, Dalynn's, Michael's, Grammy, and old Pops! I will lend Grammy to you as long as you need her. I know that Katie is ready to go up and visit. Tell Cole Happy Late Birthday from us Best down in NC. let me know what you guys need from us. We love you dearly and long to see you again real soon.
    Mike, keep up the blogging. It is so good to read all the emotions and prayers. It seems that God is already at work in encouraging your faith.
    Maya's best friend's father was diagnosed with Leukemia over a year ago...but they told them they couldn't save him. He is clear today and doing quite well.
    I send you all hugs and love. I am thankful for your testimony and your friendship. God bless you all! xxx ooo
    Love you Always and Forever!!!