Pages

    Friday, February 29, 2008

    Neutropenia

    Cole is once again neutropenic, this time due to his chemo. It's a not unexpected result of taking Methroxate and 6MP. They've taken him off of his chemo for a week and hopefully it'll resolve in due time.

    I thought I'd put up a definition of neutropenia here for folks to consume. Wikipedia defines neutropenia here. Here's a few excerpts:

    "... a hematological [meaning blood] disorder characterized by an abnormally low number of neutrophil granulocytes [a type of white blood cell]..."

    Neutropenia is dangerous because neutrophils are what allow the body to fight off bacterial infections. Without neutrophils, the body is susceptible to bacterial sepsis, or systemic bacterial infection.

    They measure neutropenia with a number called ANC, which stands for absolute neutrophil count. Here are the ranges:

    • 1000 to 1500: mild neutropenia, minimal risk of infection
    • 500 to 1000: moderate neutropenia, moderate risk of infection
    • 0 to 500: severe neutropenia, severe risk of infection
    Cole's ANC on Thursday was 380, so he falls into the severe neutropenia category. Needless to say, that isn't something that makes a parent's heart feel good. Hopefully, though, since he's been taken off of the chemo that's causing the neutropenia, his counts will come back up soon.

    Now, my good reader, I hope that you're more informed on what I mean when I talk about neutropenia.

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Michael & Daylnn--- I just wanted to leave a comment telling you that we love you and are greatly encouraged by your strenth and love. What beautiful boys you have!! I can't wait to get my hands around both of them. My heart continues to go out to your entire family. You are always in our prayers!! All our love, Jamie and Mia Best

    Langston-Family said...

    Your description is both informative and clarvoiant, a proper and practical explaination of such term. BRAVO, BRAVO, Bravo.

    Mike it was great to talk with you the other night. Please pass along a Jerry definition to your wife. Courage is not the absence of fear, but know that fear exisist, working through it and overcoming it. I find in my own life the things I fear are often the issues I need to resolve to move forward in life and with my spiritual walk. Paul said he knew what was right and what was wrong. His problem was his desire to do the right thing was often overcome by his will to pursue or facilitate the wrong.

    Be encourged and loved by the Langston Hub ( and family).

    JL