Pages

    Monday, January 7, 2008

    The Never Ending Hospital Visit

    I think this Thursday it will be 4 weeks in the hospital. It might be 5, I'm not too sure, but it certainly is starting to feel like forever. The worst part is that there is no end in sight. None of the doctors will comment on when they think we can go home. I don't really blame them, but it is frustrating. We really don't even ask that question anymore. It's just kind of expected that we're going to be here for a while.

    With that being said, Cole is doing really well. Saturday, Dr. Owen told us to get out of the hospital for a while, so we took off with some friends who were visiting from out of town and went straight to the Zoo in Norfolk! Our primary objective was to get Cole to eat, and eat he did, scarfing down a peanut butter sandwich almost as soon as we got there. It was a bit cold, but not horribly so. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, and Cole has been talking about the giraffes and elephants since we came back.

    After the Zoo, we went home for about an hour and Cole got to play with his train table for the very first time. He kept asking "Is this mine?" He certainly played with it like it was his, and had a blast. It was especially gratifying as he stood the whole time he played. He actually played with the train table til he wasn't able to stand any more, finally having to sit in some one's lap. But, after the Zoo and then over an hour standing at the train table, we thought it was a well-deserved rest.

    He's now able to walk for a good distance and is much steadier than he used to be. Here, a good distance means 10 to 20 feet. That tires him out but his stamina is much improved. If you have a toddler who walks all the time consider yourself blessed. I never knew how much I'd miss the simple act of Cole walking beside me. I cherish the thought of him walking with me again. I pray that he's up and running by summer.

    Sunday saw us spending several hours in the play-room and the departure of my Mom for a few weeks. Gary, Dalynn's Dad, came up then, too. The outing and the blood both seemed to have worked wonders on Cole's mood as most of Sunday he was an absolute joy to be around. He played hard til 8 pm. Around 8, he asked me to lay down with him and watch TV, which I gladly did. He was asleep by 9:15 pm.

    You know, as I write this one thought has occurred to me. Better 4 weeks in the hospital than not having him at all. It's a sobering thought, but true. Just 30 years ago, he wouldn't have survived ALL leukemia, most likely. 60 years ago, he'd have died of "a wasting illness". I think I can spend another few nights in the hospital, happily, given the alternative.

    5 comments:

    Shelley said...

    Mike~ Well, you've done it again...somehow managed to sum up my feelings on having a daughter with Rett Syndrome on your blog about your son with leukemia. I can't tell you how many times I have read something and it was exactly what I have experienced myself. And you know what?? We both have much to be thankful for. You go snuggle with Cole and listen to him breathe, I'll go do the same with Lauren. Know we are praying for you all daily and rejoicing that Cole is up and playing. We love you!
    The Mansfields

    Anonymous said...

    My Grandson, Benjamin, was diagnosed with ALL when he was fourteen months old. My daughter-in-law gave birth to her third child just four weeks before Benjamin was diagnosed. He recently finished his last treatment of Vincristine. He is on a treatment plan from St Jude Hospital in Memphis, TN. They change the mix of chemo. There were times that it was too painful for him to walk and when he did he had to walk on his tippy toes. He has had the muscle pain, constipation, dirreah, and all the other side effect Cole has experienced. We have about nine more months of treatments.

    I am so thankful that God has been with our family through each day, each treatment, each blood transfusion, etc. I can't even dream of how terrible it would be go through this nightmare not knowing that God is in control.

    Our prayer are with you and your family.

    Michael.Rollins said...

    Looper, thank you for sharing your story. It's always good to hear of other families who have made it through. It gives me hope. Even more so since it's such a similar story to ours.

    I do find it frightening to think of going through this without knowing that God is sovereign and in control, regardless of what the circumstances say. During the dark times I find myself relying on him in new ways that I never imagined.

    We'll add Benjamin to our prayers and pray that he sees the end of his treatment and no return of the cancer.

    Michael.Rollins said...

    One thing, Looper.

    Do you guys have a care-site or a blog for Benjamin's treatment? I'd love to read it and see how things went for you all.

    Also, how'd you find my blog, just out of curiosity.

    looper said...

    My Grandson, Benjamin, was diagnosed with ALL when he was fourteen months old. My daughter-in-law gave birth to her third child just four weeks before Benjamin was diagnosed. He recently finished his last treatment of Vincristine. He is on a treatment plan from St Jude Hospital in Memphis, TN. They change the mix of chemo. There were times that it was too painful for him to walk and when he did he had to walk on his tippy toes. He has had the muscle pain, constipation, dirreah, and all the other side effect Cole has experienced. We have about nine more months of treatments.

    I am so thankful that God has been with our family through each day, each treatment, each blood transfusion, etc. I can't even dream of how terrible it would be go through this nightmare not knowing that God is in control.

    Our prayer are with you and your family.